Tomei conhecimento neste post do What´s New do Prof. Terence Tao do título deste livro em fase de impressão. Nos links a seguir há uma entrevista em Podcast com o editor, o matemático igualmente proeminente Prof. Timothy Gowers.
Comentário do Prof. Terence Tao neste seu post .
The Princeton Companion to Mathematics
Edited by Timothy Gowers
June Barrow-Green and Imre Leader, associate editors
- The Princeton Companion to Mathematics
- Sample Entry: Fermat’s Last Theorem
- Podcast interview with editor Timothy Gowers
Informação da Princeton University Press:
- An essential reference for every mathematician, Cloth | 2008 |$99.00 / £60.00 1008 pp. | 8 x 10 | Black-and-white illustrations throughout | Cross-references, bibliographies, index
- Table of Contents: Preface, Contributors, I.2 The Language and Grammar of Mathematics, II.2 Geometry, IV.5 Arithmetic Geometry, IV.21 Numerical Analysis, V.10 Fermat’s Last Theorem, VI.61 Jules Henri Poincaré (1854-1912) [Illustration credit: Portrait courtesy of Henri Poincaré Archives (CNRS,UMR 7117, Nancy)], VII.2 Mathematical Biology, VIII.6 Advice to a Young Mathematician
- This is a one-of-a-kind reference for anyone with a serious interest in mathematics. Edited by Timothy Gowers, a recipient of the Fields Medal, it presents nearly two hundred entries, written especially for this book by some of the world’s leading mathematicians, that introduce basic mathematical tools and vocabulary; trace the development of modern mathematics; explain essential terms and concepts; examine core ideas in major areas of mathematics; describe the achievements of scores of famous mathematicians; explore the impact of mathematics on other disciplines such as biology, finance, and music–and much, much more.
- Unparalleled in its depth of coverage, The Princeton Companion to Mathematics surveys the most active and exciting branches of pure mathematics, providing the context and broad perspective that are vital at a time of increasing specialization in the field. Packed with information and presented in an accessible style, this is an indispensable resource for undergraduate and graduate students in mathematics as well as for researchers and scholars seeking to understand areas outside their specialties.
“This is a wonderful book. The content is overwhelming. Every practicing mathematician, everyone who uses mathematics, and everyone who is interested in mathematics must have a copy of their own.”–Simon A. Levin, Princeton University
ADENDA DE 6-10-2008: o leitor interessado poderá ver na entrada linkada do Prof.Gowers, editor principal do livro, no início, uma resposta muito completa a quem se dirige e quem pode beneficiar da leitura deste livro.
[Correcção de 30-9-2008: acrescentado ‘do título’ no 1º. parágrafo e link para post do editor]
[Correcção de 6-10-2008: “entrevista”, no 1º. parágrafo]